The On With Life family.
Long Term Skilled Care Leadership Team
Dick Achenbach, BS, LNHA, CBIS
Phone: (712) 525-1528
Fax: (712) 525-1509
Debra Lincoln, RN, BSN, CBIS
Director of Nursing
Phone: (712) 525-1587
Fax: (712) 525-1509
Jeni Durfey, CTRS, CBIS
Therapeutic Recreation Coordinator
Phone: (712) 525-1258
Fax: (712) 525-1509
Julie Wells, MS, CBIS
Phone: (712) 525-1667
Fax: (712) 525-1521
What can we do for your or your loved one?
Our long term Skilled Nursing program provides services that address the medical, therapeutic, psychosocial, recreational and spiritual needs of youth and younger adults with traumatic or acquired brain injury or other neurological disorder.
What services does long term skilled care provide?
State of the Art Sensory Stimulation Gym
This amazing environment is designed to maximize each individual’s comfort and ability to respond to stimuli. A net swing provides proper positioning and safety while offering linear and circular movements. A somatron mat and rocker that allows individuals to relax while feeling the vibrations of music from inside the mat. A sidelyer positioning device brings relief and comfort to those with challenging positioning needs. Musical instruments, unique combinations of lighting and other sensory stimulation equipment are used to increase a person’s alertness and ability to respond to their environment. On With Life’s therapy and nursing work collaboratively in this unique environment to give each person the individualized care they deserve.
Medical Management by Specialist Physicians
Our Medical Director, a Board Certified Internist, supervises the medical management of each individual’s care and works closely with our consulting Physical Medicine Rehabilitation Specialist to supervise each individual’s treatment program. On With Life’s medical team also includes a Psychiatrist and a Neuropsychologist who evaluate behavioral and psychological issues and develop intervention plans in consultation with staff.
High Rehabilitation Nursing Staff Ratio
On With Life at Glenwood’s rehabilitation nursing staff ratio is one of the highest in Iowa nursing facilities. The skilled rehabilitation nursing team provides a wide range of specialized services, including IV therapy, nutritional therapy, wound care, trach care, air vest clearance stimulation and gastrostomy feeding, to meet the complex medical needs of individuals aging with brain injury.
On With Life has the luxury of using a temperature-controlled pool with a moveable floor and wheelchair accessible ramp. Aquatic exercise and therapy offers unique physical and physiological benefits as the water supports the body, reduces joint stress and provides resistance and assistance to movement, allowing improved mobility, strength and function. The therapeutic temperature of the pool promotes relaxation while hydrostatic pressure offers increased circulation and respiratory benefits.
Our Physical therapy program is designed to help regain and maintain strength, endurance and balance for functional mobility tasks.
Our occupational therapy program focuses on visual skills, upper body function and movement, the enhancement of daily living activities, and the identification of adaptive rehabilitation equipment.
Speech Language Pathology
Our Speech Therapy program targets enhancing cognitive abilities, addressing swallowing deficits and developing alternative means of communication.
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists and staff assist persons served to regain functional recreation and social skills through a wide variety of modalities. Persons served have the opportunity to explore new leisure experiences through cognitive-based groups, community integration outings, leisure education and special events. Volunteers help to further enhance quality of life by offering companionship and specialized services in spirituality, horticulture and pet therapy, to name a few.
What is our goal with long term skilled care?
On With Life at Glenwood is a unique and specialized, 32-bed Skilled Nursing program designed to meet the 24-hours-a-day needs of youth and younger adults who have experienced a brain injury including traumatic brain injury, stroke, tumor, aneurysm or anoxia, or other neurological disorder. The medical, therapeutic, psychosocial, recreational and spiritual needs of each person served are our only focus.
On-site aquatic therapy and a one-of-a-kind sensory stimulation gym makes this a truly unique therapeutic environment.
Some brain injuries, including those that result in a coma/minimally responsive state, require much more time to treat, but that doesn’t mean that hope should fade. Extended skilled care is the best option for persons with brain injury who are medically stable but require intensive nursing, therapy and medical supports that may not be available in other settings. On With Life Glenwood has created a caring, therapeutic environment where each individual receives ongoing opportunities for improvement.
How can you know that this is the right program for you or your loved one?
The person to be served:
- Has experienced a brain injury or other catastrophic injury or disease.
- Requires skilled nursing services.
- Breathes independently, without medical assistance.
- Is medically stable and does not require daily doctor visits or ongoing hospitalization.
- Does not demonstrate a severe behavioral or personality disorder that poses a threat to self or others, or require intensive psychiatric intervention.
- Has a means of payment for services.
- Adolescents under age 16 may be served with permission from the State of Iowa.
- Persons over age 55 may be considered on case-by-case basis.
- Minors and adults not capable of informed decision making must have either a legally appointed decision maker or a representative with durable power of attorney designation.
- Persons with communicable disease will be considered on a case-by-case basis with
- Consultation by the Iowa State Department of Health.
- Health Insurance
- Iowa & Nebraska Medicaid
- Private Pay
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
How will you know it is time to move on?
The person served:
- Has improved sufficiently and no longer requires the services provided within this specialty skilled nursing program.
- Responsible party determines he or she no longer wishes to participate in the comprehensive skilled nursing program.
- Becomes medically unstable.
- Responsible party has failed to pay or make arrangements to pay for services.
How can you start the rehabilitation journey with us?
On With Life at Glenwood is located on a beautiful 300+ acre Glenwood Resource Center campus at
714 Lacey, Suite 100, in Glenwood, Iowa.
- Go to the Glenwood exit (Exit # 35, Highway #34) and turn Left (East)
- Go approximately 3½ miles, take the next Glenwood exit, and turn Left on Hwy 275. Hwy 275 becomes Locust St. in Glenwood.
- Go approximately 9/10 mile and take a Right on Nuckolls. There is a blue and white sign that says “Glenwood Resource Center” on the corner. (There is a Casey’s gas station on the left).
- Go 1 block and turn Right on Vine Street. Nuckolls ends and T’s into Vine where there is another blue and white sign that says “Glenwood Resource Center”.
- Follow Vine Street through the railroad tunnel/underpass and up the hill. You’re now heading East on Main St. of GRC campus.
- At the top of the hill, turn Right on Lacey Street. The Lacey Building will be on your Right.
For more information contact:
Julie Wells, MSW, CBIS Social Worker
On With Life at Glenwood
714 Lacey, Suite 100 Glenwood, IA 51534
Fax: (712) 525-1521